Well, Northeast Michigan has been pretty cool so far this summer and I do mean the temperature. I read in the Sunday paper that it has been on average the coolest July in recorded history in Saginaw/ Bay City (they started recording in the 1890's). That just sucks when I am actually able to be off and enjoy the weather. But yesterday and today are shaping up to be around 80 degrees and it is just great to be warm. Yesterday I could actually begin my day in shorts, what a treat!!
Festus and I went to the vet yesterday and got his blood work started. It will be about 5 days until we get the results so next week we should know how his liver, kidneys, and thyroid are doing. He actually was up a couple pounds in just over a week. Something is not right with that. I got the 411 on the test they ran. They double checked the results on the heartworm and did the centrifuge test to see the mycrofilaria. I went to the American Heartworm Society and read up on heartworm disease. The mycrofilaria is the first stage and there a few larvae stages before it develops into worms. The antibody test doesn't show positive until these phases have all past (about 6 months). Once we know if there is damage to the kidneys and liver we can make the choice to start treatment. It is painful. An arsenic compound is injected deep in the muscle of the dog. It takes about 5-10 days to reach full inflammation and a month to get to the second round of medicine to kill the early stage mycrofiliaria with another medicine. I am supposed to keep him calm for a month so the dead worms don't get flushed through the system in a way that could block his veins ( with 3 other beagles and all the summer activity that should be easy, NOT). In four months they retest to see if he is positive for heartworms, this is not a fun procedure. I pray that all goes well. My poor Festus boy. He is our oldest dog and I am worried about the whole thing and with Todd still on the road all responsibility lies with me. Say plenty of prayers for me I am going to need the support. Here comes Festus now, he keeps an eye on his "mommy". He is having a coughing spasm, that is part from the heartworms and he also had the bronchitis he is recovering from. He has an ear infection also and still is an uncomplaining dog. It amazes me.
Todd needs all the prayers he can get. He is training with Tony and Tony is confrontational. Todd is not big on fighting for no apparent purpose, apparently being loud and picking fights is what Tony understands best. Not a good situation and the poor man has not gotten enough sleep in the last several days, so please pray for rest and God's peace for both Todd and Tony.
Pitter was fairly agitated today. I washed the fleece blanket she sleeps on in the bathroom. This caused as much fuss as cleaning a toddlers blankie. She moaned and groaned as only a cat can. She meowed out words, if only I could understand them all. Of course, I may not want to know what a cat who would be about 88 in human years has to say when you take away something that keeps her comfortable and she wants it back now!! So I have a sick and uncomplaining Festus, a complaining old cat, 3 dogs who just want there share of attention, and a husband who is hanging on by the tips of his fingers (six weeks and counting on his time away).
All in all life is good. Have a Wonderful Wednesday! God Bless
TTFN (ta ta for now - for those who are unfamiliar with Tigger)
Penny
Wednesday, July 29, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment